SCSP - SILAC Comprehensive Special Program
|Course Goals||Outline||Start Dates|
The ideal way to make the most of your summer/winter vacation
SCSP is a specialist program held during summer that has been designed to allow students to markedly improve their Japanese during their work or school vacations. Developed exclusively by the YAMASA Institute, SCSP incorporates the intensive focus on Japanese conversation skills that has made SILAC so popular while also comprehensively improving the other three linguistic competencies that are so important in language learning: grammar, vocabulary and reading. Thanks to the addition of a private lesson, students are able to customize their classes to achieve their goals upon consultation with their teachers. Therefore, SCSP is highly recommended of those who wish to increase their Japanese ability in the shortest period of time possible.
SCSP students are also able to participate in the weekly cultural experiences and weekend tours that are run Wednesday or Saturday (fees paid separately). All the while, you will be able to enjoy your summer studying in a fully immersive environment that will make the most of your Japanese abilities.
|Months classes are held||Summer season: June, July, August and until mid September|
|Enrollment/Graduation dates||Please see the Start Dates table below.|
|Days classes are run||From Monday to Friday.|
|Class start times||See timetable. It depends on the day of the week.|
|Course length||Enrollment starts at 2 weeks but course length is largely determined by the student.
Longest initial possible period of enrollment is 12 weeks. Extensions are possible.
|Number of lessons||1 week will consist of 28 generalist classes plus 1 private lesson.|
|Class length||50 minutes|
|Class size||Maximum of 15 people.|
Enrollment starts at 2 weeks but course length is largely determined by the student.
Shortest initial possible periods of enrollment start at 2 weeks and run up until 12 weeks.
Start dates: Every Thursday from 2018/11/29 to 2019/02/14
Course period: From 2018/11/29 to 2019/02/28
Start dates: Every Thursday From 2019/05/30 to 2019/08/29
Course period: from 2019/05/30 to 2019/09/12
Placement tests are held every Thursday and are designed to let you hit the ground running from the following Friday by placing you in a class that most accurately reflects your level.
Why does YAMASA hold enrollments every Thursday?
As many of our students come from many different locations worldwide, many are jetlagged upon arrival. Other's Japanese may be a bit rusty so therefore many who sit the placement test may produce results that may not necessarily reflect their true capabilities. Therefore, if a student feels they would be better suited to study in a more advanced class, they therefore can take the placement test after a period of rest and study over the weekend. If a student feels that they should be in a class that is lower than their current one, they are able to immediately move down without retaking the placement test (depending on class sizes).
Conversation classes are held in accordance with our existing SILAC program. This curriculum is synonymous with an extraordinarily high rate of material retention in addition to a fun learning atmosphere.
1) Introductory (Week 1) The first week will see students learning how to read, write and verbalize hiragana and katakana characters as well as numbers written in kanji (Chinese characters used in the Japanese language). This introductory period usually takes about 1 week to complete.
2) Elementary Upon advancing to the elementary level, students then begin learning the basic patterns that are found in every day Japanese conversations. This definitely gives our enrollees a leg up in the vital early stage in handling the basics of standard Japanese discourse.
3) Intermediate Upon entering the intermediate level, students begin to study how to use and express more complex expressions as well as learning situationally appropriate Japanese.
SCSP provides students with a range of materials that include short pieces of writing in addition to exercises that emphasize the different use of particles and the effect that they can have on the structure of a sentence. Via this methodology, students are able to comprehend what they are hearing at a greater rate as well as express themselves more precisely.
2) Intermediate Those who advance to the intermediate level will find themselves studying more difficult grammar items. In addition to this, they will use information gleaned from discussions during conversation class while utilizing the words they have learnt during the vocabulary class (see below) to compose written pieces. Students will find thanks to this that their Japanese ability will greatly improve at an impressive rate.
Introductory and elementary students will be relating back to the conversations from their conversation class while conversely utilizing the vocabulary that they will learn in this class. While doing this, they will be comparing similar and easily mistakable vocabulary items (and individual kanji characters) to each other to facilitate more appropriate word use.
2) Intermediate The aim of the intermediate level is to increase the scope of the student's communicative ability. This is achieved by learning a variety of vocabulary items as well as covering areas that hold a particular interest to each student in the class.
Introductory and Elementary students will start this academic stream by getting accustomized to the type of characters and letters that make up the Japanese language. This will eventually lead to them using various texts to improve their reading proficiency. Classes also emphasize reading out loud as a means to improve understanding and memory of certain vocabulary items.
2) Intermediate Intermediate classes contain reading material that ranges from the very general to the quite abstract. Materials to be used are both interesting and engrossing. The texts used in this class will hopefully encourage students to eventually approach longer and more complex pieces without fear or trepidation.
The contents of our weekly private classes are determined before hand by the teacher and student. The focus of the materials that will be provided will be based on requests made by the student. Some of the things that students might want to learn about may be:
b) High level grammar
d) Verbal Japanese
e) More classical Japanese
f) Regional dialects (such as Osaka Ben)
g) Japanese animation
Elective Classes (Pronunciation, Kanji, Japanese Business Etiquette)
YAMASA runs elective classes tailored to your particular needs every Thursday during periods 4 and 5. Included among the courses on offer are:
a) Pronunciation and Intonation: Increase you Japanese conversation skills.
b) Kanji: Ideal for people from countries where the Roman alphabet is mostly used.
c) Japanese Business Etiquette: For those who wish to live and work in Japan for the long term.
The First Week
|Private Classes||Elective Classes|
|1||9:00 - 9:50||Lesson|
|2||10:00 - 10:50||Placement Test|
|3||11:00 - 11:50|
|11:50 - 12:40||Lunch Break|
|4||12:40 - 13:30||General Orientation,
|5||13:40 - 14:30|
|6||14:40 - 15:30||PV|
|7||15:40 - 16:30||PV|
The Second Week Onwards
|1||9:00 - 9:50||Lesson|
|2||10:00 - 10:50|
|3||11:00 - 11:50|
|11:50 - 12:40||Lunch Break|
|4||12:40 - 13:30||Lesson||Elective classes||Grammar/
|5||13:40 - 14:30|
|6||14:40 - 15:30||Grammar/
|7||15:40 - 16:30||PV||Reading||PV|
- Your graduation ceremony will be held on the last Thursday of your course from 14:40 to 15:30.
- Private classes can be held in any of the periods indicated in the table listed above.
Take advantage of the following discounts that are available to all students enrolling or re-enrolling in YAMASA!
- Returning students enrolling in this course are eligible for a 20% discount on their initial payment of fees.
- Students with a Working Holiday Visa or a JET Programme Visa are able to receive a 10% discount on their initial payment of fees.
- For those students who complete all of their enrollment by the periods indicated below, the following discounts are available.
- 16 weeks prior to start: 10% Discount
- 12 weeks prior to start: 5% Discount
- For students who have JLPT N2, a 10% discount is awarded to the initial payment of fees. (Certificate must be provided. This discount will be applied when a certificate is received by 17:00 of the previous business day before your starting date even after payment. The certificate is acceptable only in PDF format or as the original.)
- The discounts can be claimed one time only and cannot be claimed in unison with other eligible discounts.
- The discounts also do not apply to extra optional courses/lessons.
- Only one discount can be used at a time.
|Study Duration||Fees (¥)|
Visa InformationYou may be able to enter the country on a short term visa if you are coming from overseas or on a working holiday visa. Please note that your length of stay will be determined largely by the passport that you hold (See note below).
Student visas are only issued for courses that run for more than a prescribed total of 6 months and due to the fact that the length of this course can be subject to change, it is not possible to apply for a student visa to enroll initially enroll in this course on an exclusive basis.
Note: In 2014, the Japanese government granted exemptions to a group of 67 countries in regards to applying for short term visas; meaning that residents of these countries are better able to enter Japan.
For further information regarding whether or not you qualify for any of the two visas listed above or if you currently hold or will apply for a different type of visa to those listed above, please contact the admissions department at YAMASA via e-mail at email@example.com or via telephone at 81 (0)564-55-8111.
Congratulations! By choosing to study at YAMASA, you have taken the first step towards improving your Japanese language skills!
The next step that you will need to take is to start the application process.
Please feel free to contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or to call us on +81 (0)564-55-8111.
We aim to reply to all inquiries within 24 hours (excluding Japanese Public Holidays).