Previous

Tokyo Photogallery Index, Hamarikyu Garden, Tokyo

Next

A photo of Shiori-no-ike, the key attraction of the Hamarikyu Garden, snapped from the site of the Matsu-no-chaya (pine tea house). This is the saltwater pond with its islands, graceful bridges and teahouse. Built in the early stages of the garden's history, this is the only tidal garden pond left in the city, and one of only a handful in Japan that remain in their original state of design.

The teahouse on the small island connected to the rest of the garden by bridges is Nakajima-no-ochaya, first built in 1707, and restored to its original state in 1983. The needle like structure on the right is the Tokyo Tower, once the highest structure in the city. The other buildings are part of Shiodome. Most photos of the Nakajima are taken from the other side of the pond, to contrast the modern high rise of Shiodome with the Tokugawa era garden, doing so however removes the view of the cranes and ongoing construction. The simple fact is the garden is increasingly unable to provide a quiet place of contemplation.

Click here or on photo to return to previous page (requires javascript enabled).

Click here to return to Hamarikyu Garden Page

Previous

Tokyo Photogallery Index, Hamarikyu Gardens Photogallery, Tokyo

Next